Posted on 11/04/2022
The Importance of Fragrance in Your Home
Have you ever had that feeling of smelling a very familiar scent and remembering something special? Scent triggers emotional and vivid memories as it’s closely connected to memory. Scents bypass the thalamus and proceed right to the olfactory bulb — the brain’s smell centre. The amygdala and hippocampus in the brain (regulate emotions and memories) are directly related to the olfactory bulb, which could explain why smelling something can instantly recall a detailed memory or vivid emotion. So, the fragrance is essential anywhere you go and as you spend a lot of time at your home, you need to provide a pleasant atmosphere there.
Today, we’ll talk about the importance of fragrance in your home.
1. Improves Mood
Home scents impact your attitude and increase your mood, making you as active as you’ve never been before. When you have a hard day at your office and you come to your home and smell a soothing fragrance, you quickly relax, and the scent has an impact on your body and mind. The inability to smell is frequently linked to despair. So, whenever you smell a very pleasant scent, you feel the warmth of the atmosphere.
Sensory experiences will put you in a certain mood, therefore selecting a pleasant perfume that will make you feel happy or calm is crucial. The smell is responsible for 75 % of all daily emotions. There is a definite correlation between specific fragrances and our emotional responses. Smelling a pleasant aroma can make you smile or feel good. It is critical to find the proper combination of scents that elicit positive emotions for you at home.
2. Recalls Positive Memories
Home fragrances can help your recall memories from your family’s special occasions. After all, we live to create memories that will last a lifetime. By smelling a particular perfume, you may remember your mom or sister. It’s interesting how various aromas can conjure up a certain memory, and remind you of a person or a location. And your home fragrances will help you imagine some special occasions happening again at your home in front of you.
3. Makes Your Home Welcoming
Whenever you have guests and they enter your home and see how pleasant it smells, they will want to return. Consider how horrible an odour-filled restaurant or cafe makes you feel. Most likely, you won’t return to that restaurant since you believe the environment is filthy, unhygienic, and uninviting. Even when your home is clean and neat, but it has a bad odour, you and your guests will feel that it’s dirty. No one wants to be in an atmosphere that has an odour. Returning home and smelling the most appealing scents can make you feel warmly welcomed. Sweet-smelling interiors are generally associated with cleanliness, so you’ll appreciate the effort it takes to maintain the house tidy.
4. Helps You Focus
Whenever your home has a pleasant smell, you can concentrate on your work and tasks, instead of finding the source of the odour. A cluttered room can distract your attention, the same way the bad odour can affect your concentration.
5. Provides Fresh Air
The air we breathe should be clear of all kinds of bacteria and contaminants to avoid respiratory and breathing health issues. You can ensure that the air inside your home is fresh to breathe by employing a scent diffuser.
Scented candles, fragrance diffusers, and other products can be used to distribute these aromas around your home. Now let’s understand how you can make your home smell well:
- Baking soda — Baking soda absorbs scents rather than masking them.
- Scented candles — Whenever you want to enjoy your day by reading a good book and relaxing, you can light up a scented candle. It can burn for about 40 hours and can last for months. Aromatherapy candles can help you unwind, feel calm, and energetic, and focus on your work more effectively. Lavender candles can help you release stress. Candles made of eucalyptus are stimulating and aid concentration. Lemon candles are invigorating and can help deal with anxiety.
- Essential oils — Aromatherapy is the use of natural scents to improve physical and emotional well-being. Consider getting a diffuser for essential oils if you want to clean the air at home or work. While you shouldn’t expect them to entirely remove bacteria, viruses or smoke from the air, they might be useful for a daily refresh.
- Fragrances — Home fragrance appeals because the scent is pleasant but not overwhelming. A small splash of scent can evoke beloved memories and a plethora of feelings that can elevate one’s mood, and contribute to an overall feeling of joy. Fragrances contribute to the satisfaction of life.
Some common fragrances include:
- Peppermint — It’s a stimulant for both the mind and body. It can provide you with the energy boost you need to get through the day and has mood-elevating properties.
- Citrus — It has the same effects as peppermint and gives a clean and pleasant feeling.
- Rosemary — It’s beneficial for memory and focus.
- Cinnamon — It has also been demonstrated to aid in the reduction of mental weariness as well as the improvement of concentration and focus.
Fragrance can modify and enrich your living space when used throughout the house. Don’t be afraid to experiment with various smells and combine multiple until you find the perfect blend for you, allowing you to create the atmosphere you desire in your rooms. Find the fragrance that best defines your home from Hospeco. Don’t hesitate to contact us.